Per my husband’s request, I made this taste little recipe that he found but altered to make it my own. Normally I would have a photo of a whole cake but it was eaten and this is all that’s left after almost 2 weeks of making this dish. Here’s the crazy part…it’s still SUPER moist and amazing! This is now my go to for chocolate cake. Next time I’ll make sure to post a complete cake rather than just a piece.
Southern Chocolate Cake
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 of half and half (recipe called for sour milk aka spoiled milk or use buttermilk)
- 1 cup of boiling water
* Preheat oven 350°F
* Grease and flour 9×13 pan
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a mixer.
- Beat in eggs once butter and sugar mixture is ready.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and blend in together.
- Add baking soda to half and half and mix the liquid into your batter.
- Finally, add the boiling water and mix by hand.
- Pour your mixture in you 9×13 pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ounces of unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix all the ingredients into a mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cooled down cake and ENJOY!