Here’s a new favorite in my household. I found this recipe on Facebook and after a few tries I’ve changed it to make it my own. This is my new and healthy take on Spaghetti and Meat Balls. However, rather than spaghetti I use spaghetti squash and instead of meat balls, Turkey and Mushroom Italian Sauce.
Recipe Type: Squash, Tomatoes, Diet
Yields: 2 servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 medium-size Spaghetti Squash
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 lb. of ground turkey
- 1 to 2 handfuls of mushrooms (white or brown) chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried herb de provence
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
How to Prepare and Bake Spaghetti Squash:
- Cut the Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard (unless you are making toasted squash seeds). Place the squash halves (cut-side down) in a shallow baking dish or pan and add approximately 1/4-inch of water around the squash.
- Bake approximately 40 to 45 minutes or until a paring knife pierces easily through the skin with little resistance. Baking time depends on the size of your squash. Remove from oven and let the squash halves cool for 10 to 15 minutes or until you can handle them.
- Using a fork, gently scrape the tines or the fork around the inside edge of the Spaghetti Squash to shred the pulp into strands. Place the strands (spaghetti-like ribbons) in a bowl. If the squash seems difficult to scrape, just return to the oven and bake and additional 10 minutes.
To Make Italian Meat Sauce:
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat butter and 1 clove of minced garlic. When it becomes aromatic add in chopped mushrooms and sauté. When done, set aside.
- In the hot pan add your olive oil and sauté the diced onion and garlic.
- When onions are translucent add in your ground turkey and cook until the meat has browned.
- Add the tomatoes, red wine, water, herb de provence, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer approximately for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced to your liking.
- Turn off heat and let the sauce rest of 5 minutes to thicken.
Finally serve over the prepared Spaghetti Squash noodles and enjoy!