We had ground turkey in the fridge that needed to be eaten. So we figured…PASTA! This meant that store bought sauce would not do. So we made a simple homemade sauce to go with our turkey because we don’t likes preservatives. I surfed the web to find a recipe a new recipe. When I found “the” recipe, I made a few changes to make it my own. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny
- Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots
- 2 tsp. of Crushed Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp. of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 bunch of Fresh Basil (Leave picked)
- 1 can (28oz) of Unsalted Plum Tomatoes
- 1 package of Ground Turkey
- 1/2 package of Angel Hair Pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 package of Brown Mushrooms
- Handful of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Prep everything so when you are ready to cook the ingredients you can just throw everything in!
Tip: To cut basil. Stack all the leaves onto each other and roll them together like a sushi roll. Then use a chef’s knife and slice the basil like a sushi roll again. This will create even slices. Plus it makes you feel cool.
2. In a large pan (cast iron is what I used) add olive oil and shallots, turkey, crushed pepper flakes, cinnamon and cut up basil leaves for 5 minutes or until everything is soft and cook at a low heat.