Inspired by Bin38 Carrot Soup, I decided to make my own adaption of this delicious soup. I’m so happy I did because it turned out better than expected. It’s actually pretty easy to make and oh so good.
Garnished with Sautéed Mushrooms
- 7 medium carrots, peeled
- 1.5/2 cups of cauliflower florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped (color of our choice)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small lemon
- 1 large spoon full of crème fraîche
- salt + pepper to taste
- olive oil
- optional: garnish-sautéed mushrooms or parsley
- roasting pan
- stock pot
I used cauliflower because I had received it in my weekly farmers co-op delivery. I love improvising on ingredients so when I saw the cauliflower, I figured why not! The Bio is a french organic vegetable bouillon cube that I use to make my broth. Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Chop the carrots, cauliflowers, onion and garlic into bite sized pieces. Toss everything in a roasting pan and sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well
2. Roast for 20 minutes
3. Stir the mixture in the roasting pan after the 20 minutes and continue to roast for another 25 minutes.
4. Take roasted vegetables out of the oven and set aside. Bring 3 cups of broth to a boil. Mix in salt and pepper. Toss in roasted vegetables into the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes covered until vegetables have completely softened.
5. Blend with hand electric blender until smooth.
6. Mix in lemon juice, crème fraîche, salt and pepper. Taste and season to your liking.
7. Option: Garnish with mushrooms. I had some mushrooms lying around that needed to be used so I figured I would sautée them. Everything taste good with butter! It takes less than 5 minutes.
* Recipe adapted from www.flavourfiesta.com