We were starving and did not know what to make for dinner. Should we order pizza or actually cook something? I remember seeing a recipe that inspired me to make some homemade turkey meatballs with whole wheat angel hair pasta. Yum! The Former Chef always seems to make these incredible dishes that I always want to try. I figured here was my chance. I modified my recipe a bit from hers but basically followed her advice. I’m so happy I did. Literally, Amazing!
- 1.25lbs of Ground Turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of minced onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 ground bread crumbs
- 1 jar of organic pasta sauce (your choice)
- 1/2 box of whole wheat pasta
- Rest of onion chopped up
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Mushrooms (optional)
Yield: 16 balls, 2″ meatballs weighting 1.3 oz each
1.Preheat Oven: 450 degrees
What you need above
2. Put all the turkey, onion, garlic, oregano, bread crumbs, egg, cheese and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Make sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
3. Roll out each meatball and place on a lightly oiled foil lined baking sheet. I made sure that all the meatballs were the same size and weight (2″ diameter and 1.3oz) using a scale.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
5. Simmer the meatballs in a marinara sauce on low for 30 minutes after baking. It will allow the meatballs to stay moist and absorb extra favor. Trust me it’s worth it.
Note: In your marinara pan, heat olive oil and sautée the extra chopped up onions + mushrooms before pouring your marinara sauce in the pan.
6. Enjoy your meal!
These are great as a meatball sub sandwich the next day. My fiancé was extremely impressed.
Source : Former Chef