1.5 lb ground turkey (optional)
1/2 red onion
2 garlic cloves
half a bunch of chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1.5 teaspoon of salt
1 (29ounce) of diced tomatoes
2 (6ounces) cans of tomato paste
12 dry lasagna noodles
1 pint of skim ricotta cheese
1/2 of grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
1 bag/bunch of fresh spinach
1 teaspoon of salt
1 pound of mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
1 container of small brown mushrooms (sliced)
handful of cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook Time:
What To Do:
1. Saute onion and garlic (brown with turkey if wanted). Once they
are aromatic and starting to brown. Mix in basil, oregano, brown
sugar, 1.5 salt, diced tomatoes, tomato past. simmer for 30-45 minutes
2. Preheat oven 375. Cook noodles by laying them flat on a deep cookie sheet and pour boiling water on them. Take them out when they are soft but not floppy. This method ensures them to stay together without sticking together. Dry on flats
towels and blot dry
3. Med. bowl mix eggs, ricotta, dried parsley and 1 teaspoon of salt.
4. Put at light amount of tomato sauce so nothing sticks at the bottom of the dish. Place 1/3 of noodles in bottom of a dish 9X13. Cover with 1/3 cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, 1/2 spinach and sauce.. Add
another layer of noodles on top and repeat
5. Add the last of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of final lasagna layer. Finish it off with shredded cheese mix.
6. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and broil for 8 minute or until brown. Let the dish stand for 10 minutes.
Instead of using fresh mozzarella cheese, use high quality packaged shredded cheese with low fat mozzarella blend.
Our last layer, we saved some of the ricotta cheese mix to layer on top of the lasagna noodles. We then layered the rest of the shredded cheese blend on top. We used a whole bag of shredded cheese. We pressed the dish with a spatula to compress the layers. This is a similar technique that you would use when making a casserole dish. This helps keep everything together and press out any air in the dish.
Cooked the lasagna at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Removed the lid when the time goes off and browned the top for 8 minutes at a broil. When the dish was done, let it rest for 10 minutes and then enjoy.
Now enjoy! There will be some juice but that’s okay since you want moisture in the dish.